A slip and fall accident is a type of premises liability claim that occurs when someone slips, trips, and falls on another person’s property, resulting in injury. Slip and fall accidents can happen anywhere, from grocery stores to sidewalks to private homes. However, they are most common in workplaces and public places.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
There are many different things that can cause a slip and fall accident. Some of the most common causes include:
- Wet or slippery floors //britfox.com/
- Uneven surfaces
- Torn carpeting or mats
- Poor lighting
- Loose or broken stairs
- Objects in walkways
- Changes in flooring elevation
Preventing Slip and Fall Accidents
There are a number of things that property owners and individuals can do to prevent slip and fall accidents. Here are a few tips:
- Keep floors clean and dry
- Repair uneven surfaces
- Secure loose carpeting and mats
- Provide adequate lighting
- Fix broken stairs and walkways
- Remove objects from walkways
- Warn people of changes in flooring elevation
What to Do If You Are in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are involved in a slip and fall accident, it is important to take the following steps:
- Seek medical attention, even if you do not think you are injured. Some injuries, such as concussions, may not be immediately apparent.
- Report the accident to the property owner or manager.
- Take pictures or videos of the hazard that caused you to fall.
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses.
If You Are Injured in a Slip and Fall Accident
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. To file a claim, you will need to prove that the property owner was negligent in causing your fall.
How to Prove Negligence in a Slip and Fall Case
To prove negligence in a slip and fall case, you must show the following:
- The property owner owed you a duty of care to keep the premises safe.
- The property owner breached that duty of care.
- The property owner’s breach of duty caused your fall and injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result of your fall and injuries.
If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney to discuss your legal option